Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Spring 2016

 Spring sure did!
A strange winter with regular rain 
not a lot but average...nearly
 until this last weather event which delivered 73 ml's in just 4 days.
That's 3 months worth of rain
Strong winds is an understatement.


Luckily the flowers survived.
This row smells divine.
Freesias, great colour. 
I have been making posies, they have been popular. 

I wish Rannuculi grew all year round.
Would that spoil their splendor?
I am looking forward to these Lillies, 
the wind was a worry but they handled it. 
The dogs are also a worry here. 
Luca "popped his cork" here the other day 
rushing around madly with dangerous twists and turns...
turns out he had dug up one of the lillies during his crazed run.
Grrrrrrrrrr
Dutch Iris were splendid.
I have light blue, dark blue, purple, yellow and white.
These are all from bulbs......but
 I also have a yellow iris that has a very similar flower.
Its a rizome not a bulb.
A few years ago I collected the seed from these yellow flowers
It looked like a corn cob.....the seeds were plump like fresh peas
but I got busy, they dried out, I put them in a seed tray and left them in the nursery.
I have weeded that tray many times. Nearly threw the lot accidently. I was amazed to see they have developed.



Unfortunately yellow is not a popular colour.
A bunch of 5 of these blooms for $7 and there were no takers.
That rain event has produced a flood that
 will get here in a few weeks time......
I am a bit worried about the garden but 
there is nothing I can do about it. 
Fingers crossed it is not as bad as the media is making out!
Meanwhile my slow food mug order is due.
I am nervously counting and doing some quality control.
I think I have enough and it is too late now.




4 comments:

Anna said...

hope the floods are not too high by the time they get to you.. good luck with the slow food event

Caroline said...

You will be ready for a rest from those mugs.

Anonymous said...

hope the flood doesn't ruin all your hard work.
manda

Annie said...

Would you like some Watsonia bulbs...coral pink colour? I'm digging some up