Monday, January 10, 2011

Food Forrest

When I was weeding the other day, I was excited to find many self sown tomatoes. As I enthusiastically weeded near and around them I realised that the weeds were keeping the soil from splashing on the plants protecting them from wilt. So, I made sure they were heavily mulched after weeding to keep them nice.
My weeding was rewarded, look what I found!

I am using the permaculture system devised by "Linda Woodrow" which is a series of circular gardens which are serviced by a "Chook Dome". It does have it's advantages as the chooks clear and fertilize each garden bed in preparation for planting. There are also difficulties with watering as the plants grow they block the sprinkler, I am learning to work with the circles. My husband becomes frustrated with a garden that he can't easily find the fresh and ready veg. He is also not keen on my habit of letting some veg go to seed. But he was impressed with the tomatoes.
Cos Lettuce flower head. Maybe they will grow themselves next season.
I am always well protected in the garden. Shelia is never far away. One of the first commands she learned was"off the garden". I just have to train the new dog to do the same.







4 comments:

Annie said...

You go girl!

Annie said...

I love finding little tomato plants too - Rain rain rain here today

Calidore said...

I looked seriously at using chook domes and circular gardens. Unfortuantely hubby wasn't so keen and as it happens smaller square beds suit me better. You tomotoes look wonderful. No self sown ones here....sigh...but I'm definately saving seeds for next year. My lettuce went to seed too and I have had heaps of lovely fresh lettuce. Personally I like letting some plants go to seed. You get fresh seed for the next year and I reckon those plants are more suited to your garden than any others.

gz said...

I've come via Annie's blog- I hear you are a potter too (like myself)
It is interesting to see permaculture in action.
Probably a lot easier in your climate!!
I've joined a (free) forum for sustainable living, there are a few practising permaculture on there. www.downsizer.net
Any pot pictures?
Have a look at www.squashblossomfarm.blogspot.com keeps me encouraged!