Saturday, March 21, 2015

Studio is a work in progress

Looking at this photo of the loaded kiln
Those jugs look a bit close together.
 I might have to check...
I had to squeeze in that last mug of mine,
it only just made it.
I have tried a few new combinations of glaze 
so it will be interesting.

Still a lot of work to do in the studio.
A bit harder now there is all the equipment in there.

The slab roller is finally fixed...and has stayed that way
for more than month. I think we have it sorted.
The sliding door lets in the daylight. It has not been a heat issue
as on a hot day the cooler is on straight away anyway.
It has started to cool down now it is Autumn,
 but we did have a random 40 degrees the other day.
Followed by 25! 

I have found a garden worker to help me.
A pottery student happy for some extra cash.
Oh my goodness, she has saved my garden.
4 hours weeding together we get a lot done.
I can finally see that these are garden circles!
It has certainly taken the pressure off as I was not keeping up on my own.

This probably still looks like a lot of weeds to you, but
I can see the rows. 
I have to get ready to plant my spring bulbs out here.
I am considering sinking some large pots with good rich soil
along the rows to keep the bulbs contained. The soil here
is heavy clay and needs a lot of organic matter.

Some things do really well though, like this blue Salvia.
Argentine skies.

It has tall stems of sky blue flowers and I am noticing that
the cut stem doubles up with two pickable blooms for next time.
The stand has thickened and I can see that some gardeners would worry
that it is invasive. With an abundance of beautiful blooms I am encouraging it.

This was my Asiatic Lilly section.
The feral rabbits ruined it all by eating all the stems.
I tried everything to keep them out.
I have even rabbit proofed the sides.
I think I planted about 50 bulbs several years ago.
This year I had about 5 pickable stems.
I have planted (Mother in law) Patsy's  Ixias bulbs here. 
The frame will help the tall stems.
Fingers crossed
The Ixias will go off!.

3 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Gorgeous and wonderful pics :) On the other side of the globe, we have had snow covering the ground since Christmas in Ithaca, and it is snowing and -10-15c degrees today...unusually wintry for us, and I cannot wait for some real spring!

Caroline said...

The salvias my Mum got from you have grown huge! Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you have some help Jayne. What a shame about your lillies.Those rabbits are the end